Sunday, September 5, 2010

I hate job interviews for a number of reasons, and drawing from my personality, I'm sure even a stranger could come up with about 5 in an instant. I'm pretty terrible at selling myself despite how awesome I could actually be on the job (and I can be, I swear!) Too bad interviews come first.

Thankfully I've gained more insight into the workplace along with more appropriate answers than I would've had 5 months prior, so during a recent interview, I came fairly equipped with a little more optimism. Most of the questions were pretty basic like: What do you like about your current job? How do you adjust to change? How do you address problems? And can you remove your lip piercings? (Whoops).

Then I was asked, "What's the most life changing experience you've had so far this year?"

I never know how to go about these type of questions especially when under a time constraint. There's a lot of ways I could've answered it, but I was afraid to divulge something too personal. I quickly said something cliche to avoid sitting there baffled, but in the back of mind, I was trying to answer it for myself. A lot of significant things--great things, baneful things, unsuspecting things, have happened in the past year; all of which were ultimately life impacting.

I think I already knew my answer at the time, it was just a matter of putting it into one coherent sentence, and up till now, I still can't; articulation's never been my strong suit. I always figured people experience the most positive changes during the lowest and/or more challenging points in their lives, and maybe this is one of mine. I feel like this is the first time, in a long time, I'm experiencing something I've been needing, and I couldn't be more pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment